Harry Clarke thinks that it is silly to keep track of the number of climate change alarmist stories. Except that he seems to believe that, reading between the lines, I am being a climate change denialist, or giving comfort to the denialists, I can’t see why it is silly. I study public opinion as a hobby, but those who do it professionally and have research assistants and money to spend keep track of media reports as part of their work. I’m doing this on the cheap. But the basic idea is the same.
But to give balance, I will also do a denialist watch. My impression is that the denialists get little mainstream media coverage apart from Andrew Bolt and the The Australian‘s opinion page, so this will test that impression.
And in an attempt to track where I think are the real politics here, ie actually doing anything about climate change despite professed public belief in it, I will also run NIMBY watch – people complaining not about the science, but about climate change policy.
1. Mostly about the ETS, but with a quote that lands it in the denialist tally as well: If global warming is a fact and, there is plenty of evidence to suggest otherwise, then Australia should hasten slowly and for once, not be the world’s policeman in leading from the front.” (emphasis added)
2. This Tim Blair opinion piece is not strictly denying climate change, but making fun of alarmists would on their reading-between-the-lines pursuit of all deviance count as denialism.
3. Google missed it, but the ever-viglilant Tim Lambert found this passing comment by Piers Akerman: the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s modelling, on which the overblown, apocalyptic Garnaut report is based, has been shot to pieces.”
4. And more successful heretic hunting from Tim Lambert: Ian Pilmer pops up on Michael Duffy’s radio show.
5. The Australian’s opinion page is the place to complain about climate change McCarthyism.
6. Miranda Devine waves a red flag at the climate change alarmists.
7. A collation of denialist quotes.
8. Businessman not impressed with ‘new climate change ideology’.
9. Denialists complain about the amount of media the alarmists get.
10. What are we to make of some chilly weather?